Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Balloons!!!

Hey guys! Lately what has been on my mind is sleep, and let me tell you why. I crew for a hot air balloon, which is always a great time, of course. The problem is that you have to wake up at 4 in the morning to go out on a field, and hope that the wind will be below between 5 and 10 miles per hour on the ground, depending on how our pilot feels. This just tends to mean a nap midday, after tailgating on the field, or an early sleep that night. This, however, is not an option when you are at a balloon rally. A balloon rally is a time when every moment of your time is occupied, getting all the balloons in the air, enjoying the events, and doing as the pilots tell you. This is the story of my weekend. I had Friday off work, so my family and myself left home in the early evening on our way to Casper, Wyoming. We arrived at our hotel just after midnight, running into 2 more members of our crew, close friends. After a brief conversation about the drive and how tired we were, we retired to our rooms. We then found ourselves walking, groaning a little bit, back to the front desk. A family of 4 needs at least 2 queen beds, 1 king is not sufficient. Thanks to the rally, they were sold out, all they had was 1 more room with a king bed, reserved for someone else, but that they gave to us for the night. The kids in one room, the adults in another, 4 floors and several rooms apart. In the morning, we checked out of the hotel room, and departed to go ballooning. This day was all about the local media. The wind was high enough that our pilot, the balloon miester of the event, who we shall call Mickey told the pilots gathered "You could fly if you want, but the landing is sure to be...sporty" Only one balloon flew, and they only did it for the TV publicity.  We went garage sale shopping, because we knew that this was our only day for personal time, for relaxing time. I purchased a short sword for $10 to go on my wall. We napped for 4 hours, which, when combined with the previous night's sleep, we still didn't get 8 hours of precious sleep. We awoke to go to the pilot exclusive dinner. We were invited because of the invitation of the balloon miester, the ultimate authority. spaghetti and conversation, as well as brownies that were good enough to make me believe that someone sold their soul for the recipe. They did us all a service in the process. We swam in the hotel's indoor pool for a short while, enjoying the feel of water. That night gave us about 6 hours of sleep. We arose once again at the crack of dawn to go ballooning, but again we weathered out, no balloons even setting up. We proceeded to join a family friend, Daniel, for a large-scale float down the river, for any balloonists and crew that wanted to. It was tranquil and scenic, and then we hit the rapids, I almost flipped once, just at the end of the last rapid, but I stayed in. During this time, we got a brief history of a conservation project in the area from a local pilot. After the float, we  rushed back the the hotel room to get dressed in full Mardis Gras garb, for a themed pilot party. The crayfish boil was delicious and there was more than enough. After the party, we went straight downtown to candlestick. This is when we set up the baskets without the envelopes and send flames high into the sky. I attended the burner for a while, as children teens and adults came in and out of the balloon, pulling the burner for fun. There was even a pair of blonde twins my age that each stood on a side of me and pulled a burner for a photograph. I was made fun of for that for sure, as I was single, and one left a piece of hair behind stuck on my shoulder by accident. I was also caught off guard that evening when, as I was passing out ballooning cards and pamphlets a girl (who was too young for me, probably about my sisters age) points at me as I am giving her family their stuff, and exclaims in a bit of a fast shriek "OMG he is adorable" Or something along those lines. Neither me or her parents new how to react. I essentially ignored it and politely directed them over to our basket, so they could pull the burner. A late night, and minimal sleep, plagued us again, and I hoped that sleeping on the floor this many nights was not hurting my back. We woke, and finally, we flew. It was a beautiful flight, and the man inside the flight proposed to his girlfriend(lovely people). I was on the ground, of course, chasing the balloon. But not before I could take some pictures of a balloon. I had been commissioned to take these photos at my last rally in Frederick, Colorado. At that rally, I could not get the pictures I needed to give my client the options he required and deserved. Saturday, I got the photo that will go on the side of his trailer for all to see, with my name right by it. We departed, and the drive home was long, but enjoyable, as we were all listening to the 39 clues, and I spent a bit of the ride writing this blog entry. Well, I guess that is all for this time. See ya and allons-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment